Friday, July 1, 2011

Red, White, & Blue

This is the time of year that the firework stands open up across the city, state, and our country. A couple weeks ahead of the big Fourth of July festivities allowing folks time to get their own "sky show" planned out. Folks gather for picnics, and family gatherings. A fireworks show is so symbolic. I hope that each American this year takes pause to thank God for our country.
Living history as most of us remember September 11, 2001 I will never forget the feeling of horror, sadness, and loss as I watched along with everyone else the tragedies of that day. Our flag still flew! That feeling still comes back to me each time I see our flag waving in the breeze. Such a symbol of strength, resolve, and honor. I also recall in the weeks/months following a renewed determination by all Americans to stand by our flag, our country, our beliefs.  There were millions of flags sold during that time. So many that factories couldn't produce them fast enough.
Since that time, many more lives have been lost, and honoring our soldiers and their families have become all the more precious to us.
The family and I watched a special on the history channel this weekend on Francis Scott Key, the author of our country's National Anthem. I took mental and physical notes so I could share this with you because nothing disappoints me as much as watching Americans on television asked about our country's history and they don't know, understand, or remember  facts. Listening to the laugh track that accompanies such a segment I am even more disappointed. I am sketchy on some things too, so I try to refresh my memory from time to time.
Francis Scott Key:  I remembered studying him in school, but had forgotten that at the time he was watching the battle from behind the British ships that were firing upon his beloved city and home; Baltimore, Maryland.
The back story here is that Francis Scott Key had been asked to negotiate the return of a local doctor and friend, Dr. William Beanes who was being held captive on the British flagship the Tonnant.

Flying a flag indicating truce, he boarded the Tonnant to speak with Gen Ross about releasing Dr. Beanes.  The British agreed to let him go when finding out their comrades that had been captured were being treated well by the Americans. However, due to the battle going on they were guarded and ordered to wait until the battle was over behind the British fleet. Can you imagine, poor Mr. Key having to sit out there helpless in the water, and watch his city being bombarded by cannonballs?  After 25 hours of listening to gun fire and cannonballs imploding, suddenly there was silence.
It was still dark, but daylight was coming. Mr. Key and his friends watched and listened with great anticipation. Still nothing. However, when "dawns early light" first started peeking through the clouds, they could see the huge American Flag flying in all its glory over Ft. McHenry. What a sight to behold! Doing some research I found out that the flag was indeed huge measuring 30 by 42 feet. The British had retreated, and the battle was won.
This moved Mr. Key so much that he took a letter out of his pocket and started writing down the various sights, sounds, and experiences that had and were occuring in these moments. It is told that he finished his poem once he was on land again. Aren't you glad he did?
Since I can remember I have jotted down experiences as they happened to me and my family; little notes all over the place, on whatever I can find to write upon. So, I totally understand Mr. Key.
History books tell us that copies of the poem were distrubed and the popularity of it swelled. It was adopted as our national anthem on March 3, 1931.  This part I had forgotten also as I can't believe how long it took for that to happen! Mr. Key never dreamed that in the 21st century we would still be reading/singing those words that have come to symbolically mean so much to so many. (The Star Spangled Banner)
Happy 4th of July everyone! Best wishes for another safe and happy year, and a heartfelt thank you to all the soldiers who bravely defend our freedoms!





(thank you Google for helping me in my search of how big the flag was that flew over Ft. McHenry,
and www.answers.com/topic/francis-scott-key)

1 comment:

Teri said...

What I find amazing is there was a period of time that the smoke from the shelling hid that huge flag.