Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Memorializing Crunch


For two weeks and a couple of days now, I've had the privilege of taking care of these dogs while a friend of mine is out of town. Nestle is the name of the dark haired dog and the brown one is named Crunch. There is another brown dog that is a twin to this one whose name is Hershey.  Everyday I go out either early morning or after work to play with these dogs, water plants and to pick up her mail. My friend called me to let me know that Crunch had an infection in his paw, a few vet visits later he was on medicine and they also found some problems on his insides. On this trip out of town to greet her first grandbaby she took Crunch with her since he was at the point of having to get a shot twice a day, leaving me with two dogs. She called me a couple days ago and told me he had died. I am so sad. He was buried up at her son's house.
I wonder if the other two dogs will miss Crunch. I am sure they do, as I have wittnessed other dogs look for the one that has died, or wait for them in a certain place that they used to meet. It is amazing how much pets affect our lives. Often they are silent creatures that love us unconditionally. I've known these three dogs for several years, and so I feel a tinge of sadness when just two come running to meet me.
I'm so thankful for the pets in my life as they fill a spot in my heart that I didn't know needed filling and when they aren't there...they are missed.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Nestle, Hershey and Crunch. I LIKE how "L" thinks!!! ... now where did I stash those M&Ms...