Friday, August 20, 2010

1st Glimpse of Fall

This has been a whirlwind of a weather year. We had snow early in the year that kept folks home, and school children out for several days (this is not normal for West TN). We get some snow.. usually a dusting, or maybe an inch. Then spring time came along and we got so much water over the weekend of April 30th- May 3rd that our town suffered through major flooding issues. June, July and now August have been some of the most dry, and hottest months on record with consecutive days of temperatures over 100 degrees! Yesterday, when washing breakfast dishes, I noticed that some of the leaves on the left tree in our backyard had turned red! (see picture) It's only in this particular bunch, nowhere else on the tree is there any red. Maybe this branch is as ready as we are for the cooler temperatures!

Fall is a favorite time of the year for me, as it signals back to school! To me there is nothing like the smell of new crayons and sharp pencils! I loved school, and my friends, so this was a highlight for me.

I still like to help the boys get their supplies together and prepare for a fresh start!

While fall signals the end of many of my flowers, it welcomes my mums! It's kind of nice to clean out the flower beds, and sweep off my porch so I can freely rock in the cool breeze of the season! Neighbors come out of their homes more, and so we spend time catching up. The fields have been mowed and the hay bales are scattered about. Some of the corn fields are being prepared for fun mazes, and county fairs are popping up all across the state. The cooler weather will signal times of giggling children dressed in their favorite costumes and of course, Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday as you don't have to worry with presents, and everyone gathers together and expresses their thanks to each other and to God for all their blessings.

What's your favorite thing about fall?

2 comments:

Teri said...

My favorite thing about fall? It's NOT summer any more!!!!

Emily Doss said...

I love fall too! All those things you mentioned are my favorite. :) And Thanksgiving is my favorite too!

I love walking down the dead end road my parents live on and seeing all the trees/leaves. Some that have already fallen and some that are barely hanging on. I love the smell of tobacco firing. And drinking Pumpkin Spice creamer in my coffee.

I love being able to wear long sleeved T-shirts.

Yes I do love fall the most!