Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

Well,
Since I last posted we have been so busy! It is springtime and that means yard work! We have done lots of clean up and are now starting to see some results of our labor in the fall. The butttercups have come and gone, the tulips are slowly fading and the daylilies are budding! The bushes are blooming, the hostas are coming along well,and several iris have peaked out and then seemed to almost explode in beauty! We truly enjoy watching God's beauty grow in the yard and in surrounding areas this time of year. I'm trying to catalog where each item is and the colors so I can keep a good display going all year round!
This weekend amongst storms, we attended an auction of plants and flowers in Pembroke KY. Wow. It was more fun than last year! First off my closest friend and her husband were able to join us and the oohs and ahhs were just a buzzing! The Amish community puts this up annually and boy do they bring the "wow" factor in floral and gardening plants. The prices are great and the experience of the auction is exciting all in and of itself. Sometimes the prices go way above in town prices so we let them go unless of course it is a must have! Mostly you can get quite a deal if you pay attention and set a goal for yourself. My friend and I came armed with lists, so we were prepared to pay just a certain amount and no more for certain items.
Overall, we use this time to watch and see what is new, what worked last year and what would be fun to try this year. As a rule, I try not to put too much money in annuals. While it is hard to wait for the auction, I do wait until I have attended to fill my hanging baskets and few that I put about to add a splash of color where there is none. It's timing is so close to mother's day that for the last two years, I make it a point to pick up something for that day as well.
This year we picked up a peach tree and a patio peach tree. We look forward to the fruit off of those! The boys planted some seed potatoes, so it will be fun for the boys to watch that grow. They love digging potatoes at Grandma's, and they know how to pick and snap beans too! Ahh, summer days!
Next month it will be strawberry picking time and lots of graduations to attend! This year I get to share what used to be a treasured annual tradition of my grandmother and I, making strawberry jam with a couple of friends who will come work the whole process through with me and then take home their reward!

No comments: