Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Middle School Guys



Last year in March, Sweetie and I hosted middle school guys for a whole weekend of fun and Bible study. Last year we had about 10. This year we are looking at 16 and two highschool leaders..18 kids. It is funny to watch the reaction of our friends and neighbors when we let them in on what's happening at our home. Some are in utter shock, others volunteer to pray for us!
Why do we do it? Because we love our middleschoolers, all of 'em. And because we happen to have a guy middleschooler of our own. These guys are so awesome. They are so respectful and very helpful. (Moms be proud!) They are eager to get into the Bible and learn, they have prayer time, and yes, we party up until way past my bedtime.
To be able to be a part of these kids lives, and to be able to catch up to them and see what has been going on since last year, will be just priceless. Middle school is a really tough time in a kids life. You remember, right?
They are trying to establish an identity. Being awkward is a big part of it. They are big kids now, but they still like to be at home too. God blessed me with good Christian friends when I was in middle school, that I still communicate with today. If I can help nurture these friendships, I will take every opportunity. My friendships made in middleschool helped shape me and keep me in line sometimes!
Yes, our home will be full. I can't wait. Now I may not be saying that at 2ish in the morning when the guys are still up! But I will still mean it deep down!
Last year my biggest blessing was when they all got around the piano and just praised our Lord with their voices and their musical talents. Our neighbors could hear the music and the praises being lifted up. How awesome is that! This year I was blessed by several of them requesting they be put back in our home!
As we make preparations this week we are prayerful for their growth and development, and ours!

No comments: