Tuesday, February 23, 2010

18 House guests!






Well, the weekend is now behind us. Our sleep banks are in desperate need of some serious rest time deposits.
Details: Friday evening with some help we transported 6-8th grade middle school boys to our home. 4 sixth graders, one 8th grader and 11 seventh graders. We also had staying with us one highschool senior and one college sophmore. That would be 18.
What's fun about that is we have a 1900 square foot home, and they all fit!
There was no sleep for the majority Friday night. Saturday morning came early with ham and cheese omlets to fix and ready to be served by 730 am. Done. Clean up, devotion time, then play time.
We had beautiful weather this weekend. 60ish degree days with sunshine! The group decided to get out in it and play some football! Before long it was time for a trip back to church for group time and lunch. Then back to the house to finish the game and then off to the roller skating rink for 2 1/2 hours. The rink was so overwhelmed with kids, (it wasn't just our group) that they ran out of skates! So we cut that time short and came back for more football/basketball. More devotions, (they were studying Galations)and then dinner. For dinner Chad and I prepared 96 soft and hard shell tacos and sides for these kids. There weren't many left!
We had to take the kids to a church downtown for evening preaching by 7 so we had to hurry! (8 churches participated in this)We left there around 930ish and headed back to the house. By this time the kids were zapped. The busy day, lots of activity, and lack of sleep was beginning to take its toll. By the end of devotion, there were not many that were ready for showers so they could be fresh for church in the morning. A reluctant few took the challenge anyway.
By 1am our house was so blissfully quiet! Ahh! We got almost 5 hours of sleep! Whoo hoo! By 630 they were eating pancakes and the rest were getting their showers taken care of. At 745 we were packing the cars so we could be at church for the 8:30 service. Most of the boys stayed awake in church and then begged their parents to take them home to sleep! So much stimulation in such a short time made for some super sleepy kids, leaders, and host homes!
Sunday afternoon was just warm enough to have the windows open for a few hours before the rain came in. I scrubbed and vacuumed, and mopped. Several hours later, we had a fresh home again.
Good thing, we had small group to go meet with by 5pm!

Now to the fun part! These kids were awesome! They managed to read through the entire book of Galations! They played well with each other, and we had some awesome talks!
Over the weekend, I jotted down some of the things I heard them saying, or talking about.

Dude! I'm like a sixth grader!

Check out my grill!

I just wanna have fun..

When are we gonna play manhunt?

Today we are going to talk about circumcision? What?

Ohh! Let's move on!

Thanks for listening.

I'm gonna be a preacher.

Me? A judge. So I can put bad people away and give them a Bible to read in jail.

Can we eat?

Looser!

I'm thirsty!

I don't go to Rossview or Richview..

Jews and Gentiles huh? That's like Rossview and Richview..God loves us the same, but we are clearly the chosen ones.

You are such a..I'll let ya know when I think of it!

I'm thirsty

When can we eat the cake?

Avatar is my favorite movie

I want to be an orthodontist when I grow up

You guys can just start calling me Your Majesty

Shut up!

Ummm you can't say that..we are in a church home!

Michael didn't say we could do that!

Halo rocks!

I'm awesome.. God made me that way. Sorry you can't handle it.

When do we eat?

Dude, its 11:26pm..then can I have a snack?

I'm in a band.

Respect the seniority. What? I'm older. So? I'm younger new ideas ever heard of em?

Hey, can we use the tire iron on your car too? (seriously, one of the guys used his tire iron to bang out his right rear corner panel so it wouldnt rub on his tire)

Looking forward to next year! But I will need some time to prepare! LOL!

No comments: