Friday, February 26, 2010

Funerals

I've been to many funerals. It seems as I get older the more frequent they become. People I knew growing up, friends, folks we went to church with, and my dear family members.
This week I attended the funeral of Ruby Halliburton. She was 88. I knew her as a piano teacher, and met her several times when we attended the same church. Lately I found out she was related to my neighbors across the street. Cousins. Their grandmothers were sisters.
So, my neighbor and I went to the funeral home together. Miss Ruby looked so peaceful laying there in her cream and pink casket. She had been in pain her last few months as she had hip surgery and that was when they discovered colon cancer. I had been given updates on her condition through the mutual friends we had at church. She was said to be in good spirits and still singing praises.
I hadn't seen her since late summer of last year. She loved people, her family, and the outdoors. Her love for Jesus was made known to anyone that she made contact with. That is one thing I will remember about Miss Ruby was her smile. She was always smiling. Laughing. She was one happy lady.
We met all sorts of people there, some folks I hadn't seen in years. They wanted to know how Sweetie was doing and "my how big the boys are". I was reminded many times that I need to enjoy my youth as time flies by so quickly.
As I mentioned before, Miss Ruby was a piano teacher. Her prized pupil, Dillon played a few songs at her funeral. Pastor Laida said a few words and Pastor Pat sang a song. Then it was over. It was a very short funeral.
On the way out, as I was retrieving my coat from its hanger in the closet there, I felt a tap on my shoulder. A dear 82 year old friend of mine was standing there looking at me. "Well, well young lady..I thought that might be you." Exchanging hugs, I realized I had come face to face with my second grade teacher.
"All that grammar I pounded into you was worth it, wasn't it?"
I smiled and nodded in the affirmative. She went on to tell me how proud she was of my writing in Clarksville Family and that she saw the boys on the front cover and was reminded of how fast time is going. She asked about church and had the boys accepted Christ. I told her a brief history and she teared up. Standing there looking at each other, student and teacher both appreciated each other just a little bit more.
Noticing the time, I gave her my thanks and started looking around for my neighbor who, I could see was already making her way to the car. As I excused myself I told her how nice it was to see her again, and as she gave me another hug goodbye she whispered in my ear that she too would see me in heaven one day. Eyes moist, I told her I looked forward to it.

No comments: