Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Life is a Vapor

Today I’m reflecting on hearing the news of an acquaintance that died yesterday in his home. He was 53. He was in church Sunday. We even spoke to one another.

Would he have lived his last Sunday and Monday differently if he knew Tuesday he would no longer be here? He wasn’t old. This man was a godly man, I’m positive he is even now, worshiping at the feet of our Lord. It’s another reminder that life is so short.

Growing up, I remember hearing from the adults around me of how fast the time was going. Yet for me it seemed that time drug on! The school week was exceptionally agonizing. I was always counting the days/weeks/months until the next chunk of time school was out.

I yearned for 16, experienced that, however, it wasn’t a big deal for me. Eighteen was the next biggie. When I turned 18 I already had two semesters of college behind me! All I knew about turning 18 was that somehow I was legal. Now I could be put in jail, I was able to vote. I was driving, had pledged into a sorority and honestly still, time moved rather slowly. 21, wow, I’m planning to be married, school and work are still taking up a big part of my life.

25, hmmm seems like just yesterday. My sweetheart joined the USAF, and we are expecting our first baby, we’re away from home; experiencing colic, diapers, and sleeplessness. I'm 27, baby number 2 is on the way, my sweetheart is on tour overseas. Time is now picking up pace with potty training, and a brand new baby in the house. First day of Kindergarten, now I’m expected to respond to Mrs. when my name is called out? When did that happen? Yes, I mean I know that I’m the parent, but wow; am I really one of those adults I just didn’t understand growing up? When did that happen? I’m still cool: I think.

All I know is once you have children; your life is never the same. Time and money are spent differently than before. Somehow it is more important to see that crooked little smile than it is to have that designer bag.

I’m 36 now; both boys are in school, our oldest started middle school this year! Between work, PTA meetings, recitals, practices, homework, and their social schedules time is moving even faster today. We are actually going from event to event. Our days of the week are marked more by activities than the actual date. This is why all of the sudden when I exercise the lost art of writing a check I honestly have to look up the date!

It is already the eleventh month of 2008! Where has the year gone?

Spring consisted of my sweetheart having appendicitis, a visit to our friends in Germany, a new puppy, my sweetheart earning his Bachelor of Science degree. Summer, uggggh all the politics, summer camp, soccer camp, VBS, and mission trips. Fall, another school year, the puppy with a cast on her back leg, adjustments to middle school, a new president, and preparations for Thanksgiving are now underway! Where has the time gone?

We’ve all read the emails, or seen the poems about appreciating one another as we don’t know when they will no longer be with us. Taking time to do the little things that as we grow older we find out are the big things of life.

Today, I’m taking a moment to take an inventory of my life so far, my family, my friends, my church, and my commitments. If I am to not be here tomorrow, would anything I do today have any impact on the future? Would I do anything differently?

No comments: