Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Brrr....

It's cold outside. Brrr. The leaves are falling, and the crisp, crunchy sound they make as we walk across the yard means it's time to start thinking of the holidays! The HOLIDAYS? (Cue the sound of a record being scratched to a sudden stop)
It's hard to believe that next week is Thanksgiving! Ya know, most of the time I love Thanksgiving more than Christmas! At Thanksgiving we all get together, those of us that can, and some odds and ends of us too.. and we all bring a dish to a wonderful feast. There are no big decorations for this event. No major lines to stand in to purchase our turkey for .10 cents a pound if we are the first ten in line at the grocery store.
Its a time to catch up on the latest family news; a time to be thankful. A day to just overall, relax.
Usually I spend part of the Thanksgiving day perfecting my strategy for Black Friday. I must admit in the past, it was a ritual. Friends/family and I would get together and plot and plan. Who was going to stand where and what treasure was the goal?
I'm wondering what it will be like this year. The news spills nothing but doom and gloom for our economy. However, the soldiers are back with heavy wallets. I think here in Clarksville, it will be a good day for local retailers.
I'm not sure if I will go out early this year. Right now, the idea of staying home in the warmth of my pj's with family around me sounds really good.
Maybe we will all be able to focus more on the relationships we have formed, are forming, and continue to nurture this year. After all, what matters most is the time we spend together. Those priceless memories that can conjure up a smile on the dreariest of days - that is what I want to work on this holiday season.

No comments: