Monday, November 24, 2008

Charlie Brown Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKk9rv2hUfA



I don't know about you, but this video was a "must see" favorite of my family as I was growing up. As a child this is what started my Christmas season. I knew it was but a few days until the tree would go up, and presents would start appearing!

Almost every year there was a Christmas play of some sort that at least one of us kids was involved in! Sometimes we would drive around and look at lights, we would attend church for all the Christmas specials. At school there was excitement about the time away, but also the fun things we were making to take home as our own gifts to put under the tree! The big brown UPS truck would be watched for daily, as packages would come from others that couldn't be with us at Christmas time.

Ahhh, the worry free days of childhood. The biggest stress I had was hoping that what I had made for mom for Christmas would get a big smile and a hug. I had no need for money, I had no where to be, no time schedule.

I remember watching as some grown ups would sit there with no presents. I remember asking my grandpa once why he wasn't sad he didn't have anything. Smiling, he told me that he already had his gift, and that was the time with us. We would play board games, and if there was a new toy, Grandma and Grandpa were the first ones to show us how they worked.

I remember thinking that I didn't want to grow up because Christmas without presents would really stink! But you know, as an adult, I've discovered that the best Christmas gift is that time with friends and loved ones. There are many that will not be with us this year, and for that I'm sad, but it will make the time with those still here all the more precious.

The time with our families. Sitting in the floor playing dominoes with the boys, or dressing and redressing a Barbie doll with a niece, making a dish with grandma.. listening to the men folk talk and share stories. This is what I want for Christmas this year!

No comments: