Monday, November 3, 2008

Happiness is a warm Puppy

"Happiness is a warm puppy" said Charlie Brown in reference to Snoopy. I didn't truly understand this until I had my own puppy.
Puppies are grand aren't they? Little critters so full of energy and eager to please! Our family adopted such a pup in May of this year. A little rat terrier. Black and white, sweet disposition, determined little bugger. Sasha ( Russian name that means " little fox"), is the name my sweetheart gave to our newest family member.
Our boys have begged for a dog for years. Well, the time had come. We looked at all sorts of dogs. Colors, breeds, disposition, ect. It's hard to walk away from a puppy. But I did. Lots of 'em.
See, I prayed over this. "Lord, let me know for sure which one is the right one". I thought I found such in an adorable lab puppy. No, I remembered how big they get. Cute as can be, but not the right one. I looked at cute little jack russel terriers! That almost got me. But, I remembered how hyper they can be! And so on, and so on until a day I wasn't even looking.
One of my best friends and I went up to KY to purchase our annual flowers. Amish land. After looking around at some flowers and choosing our favorites, the gentleman who owned the place told us of some puppies that had been born a month ago. I humored him and went looking for them. They were holed up in the barn. Rat terriers (short hair) he said. 5 of them. Three boys and two girls.
My friend and I loved all over the two girls.. why the girls? Because in case you haven't noticed.. I have a hubby, and two boys at home already. I needed to get another girl involved, and having another child is out of the question. Knowing I would be the primary care giver, I felt I got the choice! ha!
The first one was brown and black and white, prettiest little face you have ever seen on a dog. Gorgeous dog. Second one was black and white and all over the place. This cute,little gal had a stump of a tail and was considerably smaller than her older sister. When asked about this, the reply was, "oh that's the runt". She climbed all over her brothers and sister to make it to me. Little booger had determination! My dear friend liked the little one best as the oldest managed to pee all over her! I loved her spirit. This little girl was all over the place! She needed to be if she was going to survive our boys!
I didn't take her home that day however, as I still needed to let her get weaned from momma dog and do a little research and prepare for this little bundle of joy.
I found out that rat terriers are great family dogs. Ours is going to fall under the catagory of "Teddy Roosevelt Rat Terrier". Which basically means she is short legged and will not weigh more than 7-10 pounds. Right now our vet thinks she will not even hit 7.
She came home a little while later and she is now irreplaceable! What a great little dog! She is a content little bugger as she frequently can be heard sighing. Yep, such a deep and profound sigh of utter contentment.
She is a long way from her "days in the barn" scrapping for food!

No comments: