Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Vitamins- Good for us yesterday, bad for us today

Apparently today the news brought yet more tidings, not of great joy, but of doubt, and panic.  Go figure.
I try to keep up with the goings on of our world today. However, most of the time the news is full of sadness and woeI can hardly stand to watch much more than the weather segment . I should have watched the news this morning, as apparently I missed that some researchers somewhere have discovered that taking a multivitamin could indeed cause more harm than good. (that vitamins could cause more harm than good)
Since I work in a doctors office we heard about this latest revelation all day long. We received many calls filling up the mailboxes of the doctors and nurses regarding whether or not the vitamins that their doctors told them to take could be dangerous. Oh my!
It amazes me as most of the folks that call are elderly. Have they forgotten how over the years the news tells us that eggs are good for us, to eat more of them in our diets, then a year or two down the road we are told that the previous story was wrong and now we must avoid eggs, or perhaps just eat the yokes, or maybe just eat egg whites? Hang around..it will change.
The answer to the stress of the day? I overheard that no vitamin should be taken in excess, as with any medication or fruit, or vegetable for that matter. Over indulgence in anything is bad for you. Folks need to relax. Talk to your doctor, your primary care physcian. The story didn't take into account the folks that really HAVE to take vitamins, or for how long, or family history of disease for one, and not another, for the folks that are overweight and those that aren't. But what the people heard was no matter what your personal issues are you may die if you continue taking something others have taken their whole lives and been better for it. Who knows what else is being reported that is not the whole truth? I know I have actually wittnessed news, was excited to watch it on TV that night, and wow the story was so loosely based on what actually happened I almost didn't recognize the story. The "what ifs" were the highlight of the story rather than the facts that it just wasn't that bad of a situation. Even the interviews were edited to make the story POP. While the sparkle of a well worded story may catch a few viewers, I would rather invest my time in the truth - even if it isn't attractive, or even what I want to hear.
How about you?

No comments: