Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When Monday Happens on Tuesday

I should have gotten the clue when instead of sunshine streaming in, it was grey clouds, and the patter of raindrops could be heard on the windows. Maybe if I hadn't tripped getting out of bed, or had a lightbulb in the bathroom blow just as I flipped the switch. Maybe if as I headed downstairs, to get a new lightbulb I hadn't managed to step in a beautiful hairball, still warm mind you..maybe if..just maybe.
At this point it is just after 6am. I clean up the hurk, then head back upstairs to screw in another bulb. Oh yeah, I'm praying.
Taking a deep breath I flip the switch, it works! Praise Jesus! The house is still quiet as Sweetie is at work and the boys are still in dreamland. I'm on a mission. Bible study today fell on "fruits of the spirit". Go figure, that is what we studied in Small group this week.
After Bible study, I've gotta get a resume faxed. Simple task right? Ha, not in my world. The printer I have at home doesn't work, in the trash it goes! So, bright idea, I will go to Kinkos! hmmph! If I'd known how that was going to turn out I would have stayed home!
Kinkos, one person working. No problem, I'm the only one in the store. They open at 7am I was there by 7:08. With as much "happy" I could muster I send out a hearty "Good Morning!" Gal replies.. "it's too early for me". Nice. It's okay, not everyone is a morning person.
My resume and cover letter are on a USB, so I plop down insert my debit card so I can pay .30 cents a minute to use their computers. Well, guess what? The computer doesn't recognize it (the USB). Chickie is on the phone complaining about her hair to someone.. I'm watching the clock count down, as the charges to my card go up.. while I wait.
Bottom line, she couldn't do much but answer phones, and complain. I never could get it to work, download or anything. So I figure I've paid enough for nothing, and cancel my session. I am now ready to make a copy and the machine is still warming up.. SOOO I decide while that is happening I will scan my application. Guess what? yes, it isn't working. Chickie doesn't know how to work it. Seriously?
At this point, I remember I have my stuff on a disc also. No, of course it isn't with me, so I drive home in the rain to go get my disc. Maybe this will work. Back to Kinko's. Now the computer will not read the disc. Try another computer. Same issue. Chickie is on the phone again. Now there are others in the building trying to get things done. Looks like the copier is working...Scanner still not scanning, disc still not reading. I'm done. Yes, my patience is not shining brightly at the moment. I recall our Bible lesson on self control. This keeps me from saying anything on my way out the door for the second time this morning. I consciously decide to pray so my mind won't think ugly thoughts.
Upon praying again inside the car, an idea of taking this all to a friend comes to mind. With a quick phone call, I get that set up. Praising God for helping my cell phone work, and for her to answer. I continue down the road. Sitting at a light on Wilma Rudolph, I hear the squeal of brakes. Instinct makes me check my mirrors..Then the light.. mirrors then the light.. I inch up closer, I know less than half of my car is now over the white line where you are to stop... but I didn't want to get hit.
So this idiot behind me who wasn't paying attention manages to stop inches - if that from my car. I literally saw the hood disappear! The dude next to me who was also watching this, rolls down his window and shouts something colorful to the driver behind me.. he motions for me to roll the window down, asks me if I'm okay.
"Absolutley, they didn't hit me." The light turns green and we are off again.
My heart was still thumping in my chest realizing that this morning could be a lot worse.
I got to my friends workplace without further incident, got the fax sent off and left. In prayer again, I praise God for keeping me safe, and wow what a morning!
Hoping this was just a ka-winkie-dink..I progress with my morning.
Not until around 11ish does my world crash again. Literally. Remember the wind,rain situation outside.. well we got new windows recently. Not all of them have been sealed. (another story) So, I'm talking to my middleschooler in his bedroom doorway and pop! Yes, POP~! The window, the bottom part that goes up and down pops out through his blinds which were closed with a big crash and sounds of glass breaking..OH yeah!
First thought in my head was.. did my kid open that window? The terror on his face tells me that is not the case. I ask anyway. No, he didn't touch it. We were both afraid to look and see what happened, but since I'm the adult that is home at the moment, well.. that would be me; I know I have to take care of it. The window has fallen out of the frame part, as I can see the warped metal. However, it is still hanging in the frame. There is a beautiful replica of the St. Louis arch across the inside glass of the window. The corner that hit on the corner of the window sill (proof to me it wasn't secure) is busted and that is where the glass on the floor comes in. Sigh.
Phone rings! Yes, Jesus? No such luck. This is my friend wondering how my morning is. I think she could tell by my tone, now was not a good time! She got off the phone so I could make the necessary calls.
My window guy, you know the one that hasn't sealed the windows? He comes out and says, "Oh, your window wasn't latched". I feel the heat on my neck. If I was a cartoon character.. there would have been a black cloud over my head!
"I haven't opened this window since your guys were here". Be proud as I didn't bite his head off.. it was a firm reply. (spoken through gritted teeth).
"We will replace the glass in this window. Why didn't you latch this window back after it fell out?"he says.
"okay, it is bent. I figured I wouldn't break it anymore. I double checked the latches on the other windows I found others that weren't sealed either."
If you were an observer at this moment, you would probably laugh as this guy is trying to shove my window back in all the while the wind is blowing rain in on him.
I am handing him tape, so more glass doesn't spill into the floor; the window gets taped shut. With a hammer and screwdriver it is "fixed for now".
Both boys are afraid that I am going to hurt this guy as I see them peer into the room, while the oldest goes," everything alright in here?" They knew how ticked I was. I wanted my windows sealed before this rain came in!
"Yes, son it is. And it will be." is my reply. I have to believe that in order to make it through the rest of this day.
Lord willing, there will be no more calamities. I plan to stay put. For now.

2 comments:

Teri said...

Wow! I'll keep my crappy day after all... yours is worse!!!

Heidi said...

Ack!!! Sounds like you should have a free pass to take the rest of the week off!! :)