Thursday, October 30, 2008

Learning to Rest

I have a dear friend who has recently survived a head on collision. It is amazing she is alive. I call her my broken friend. She is physically, which means she has to rest.
This is a unknown concept to her. Mind you she has a son in college (out of town), a social butterfly daughter that is a sophmore in highschool, and a fifth grade son.
Her life before consisted of working 40-50 hour weeks, taking her daughter to dance, and every other social event in the surrounding counties, her sons football games, taking time to be involved in their schools, and to serve on several community committees. This wreck has caused her to stop. For 12-18 weeks she will not be allowed to drive. She is dependant on everyone else to get her kids to pick- a- place, and if she needs to go to the doctors, physical therapy, ect. She is wearing a back brace, uses a walker to walk, broken wrist makes that difficult, and a right knee brace. She is going no where fast even when she wants to.
Why is it so hard to rest? Personally, I also find it difficult. But God commands us to "Be still and know I am God". Be still? Most of the time, even when I pray it is while I'm doing something. I do make myself stop completely at least once; find a quiet spot, get on my knees, close my eyes and pray.
Will you be able to find time today to just be still? Take time to reflect on what's really important. God,our families, our relationships. That is what will carry us, and our broken friends through the really tough times.

No comments: