Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hooked on Adjectives

Okay, I know that sounds terribly geeky. I love adjectives. Why? They have the ability to color our world, and it is up to you.. the author to take the reader in whichever direction you choose. The power of a written word, it can evoke emotions instantaneously. Opposite ends of the grammarical spectrum. OOOH! Big words!
In school grammar was flung upon me like a virus. A literal coldsore that had to be dealt with to pass the grade. Picking out the subject and verb were easy enough, but then you had to get into predicate nomitives and the other toxins of the English language. To top it off you got the priveledge of putting together a paper at the end of the semester.
Somehow I could always put enough fluff into my project to pass. But...beware of the red ink pen!
There is one English teacher in particular that this brings to mind. She could take my "best" papers and make them look as if I soaked the paper in red. Literal murder right there in front of my eyes. Scraping up my fragments of thought I would start over. Each time she returned it, there would be less bloodshed. Finally, I deduced she would in all actuality have a paper she herself wrote, but written in my script. Once I figured out that was all I had to do.. I pumped her for information. It was amazing! I succeeded and passed her class with an A!
Today, I will tip my hat to her for making me take my work up a notch. So, today in honor of her, I will start my first blog.

1 comment:

DtCtyGrl said...

Wonderful, Awesome, Amazing Adjectives! Glad you have created a blog. It's your time to shine!