Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A visit to the Orthodontist

We have visited our share of doctors lately. We started with a trip to the orthodontist two weeks ago. What promted this visit is our middle schooler's teeth. He could pass for a shark when he opens his mouth.
See, our 6th grader is so afraid of pain, he will not pull baby teeth unless under duress! Therefore, he has two rows of teeth on top and on bottom.
As the momma I'm supposed to pay attention to these things. (anyone who is a parent, or has had custody of a child for any length of time knows that these things sometimes pass our observation if there are no complaints from said child). I mean if the teeth are visible I can see them wiggly. The ones in the back on inside the cheek zone- he might as well not have them as I sure don't think about things I don't see.
( I know, mom of the year will have to go to someone else!)
To sum this up, there are 10 teeth that need to come out."

So, into a cheery office we go. We are greeted warmly by the receptionist. There is a pretty orange paint on the walls, new magazines and a comfy leather couch to sit on. Once signed in, a young doc pops his head out of the side door and asks my 6th grader to come on back. He says he will chat with him first, then call me back.
Okay. I re-sit on the sofa and get immersed in an article on Michelle Obama and how she is settling into the White House. I don't quite make it through and it is now my turn to go back and chat.
Doc has my child open his mouth and show me the same thing that our dentist showed me. "Okay, I'm familiar doc, now what?"
"Please look at this." (doc is pointing to a bottom tooth that moves as my child breaths out!) UGggh! "Is he by any chance afraid of pain?"
He them goes on to explain to me and my child that this tooth and another one are not even root bound anymore. These two teeth can come out today. Free of charge.
Okay, so I focused on the free part. Don't shoot me.
My boy sits there and refuses to let the doc pull his two teeth. More prodding and explaining. Then with tears starting to well up in his eyes he agrees to pull on out right there.
Oh the DRAMA! (Sweetie is SOOOOO going to the next appt)
Eventually it does come out. The sight of his own blood, psychologically gave his tears permission to flow.
Doc is done. We are all done. The person in the waiting room is done too!
Doc says my child can pull the other one out on his own time. He was exhausted. THe middleschooler and I exchanged looks of "Whatever!" between ourselves.
So, Doc won't see him again until all 8 teeth are pulled. I say 8 as once I tell Sweetie that when Doc asked our child to "man up" and pull it or he would pull it for FREE there in the office... and it didn't happen... uggh. It will be only 8 teeth to be pulled.
So Doc tells me that our dentist is the one who will pull these teeth. I schedule an appointment for this to be done after school is out. Our dentist tells me it will take about an hour and a half depending on our child for this to happen.
Sweetie is SO going to this appt. HE can handle the "MAN UP " appt.
I wouldn't be able to take it. I would have to leave the office, the parking lot, quite possibly that side of town. Have the dentist call a cab for the child. Then love on him when he comes home. Like somehow me not being physically there removes me from being responsible. sigh.
It will be me that tells my boy it will be better soon, give hugs, and love, some icecream, maybe pick up some movies.. all the fun stuff.
The bill for this? Don't know yet. Maybe I should ask if he does a two for one special? Sigh.
One person's procrastination sure does have a profound effect on anothers bank account!

No comments: