Sunday, November 13, 2011

Veterans Day Parade

Veterans Day is a special day celebrated by many folks across our nation. However, in our family it has always been special as being a military family goes back generations. I've spent many Veterans days watching the soldiers old and young marching and being honored for their sacrifices. Some of my fondest memories are of placing hundreds of little American flags at gravesites of our veterans. I have grown up listening to stories of battles and friendships forged over the years, and of life and sacrifices lived on various continents. Since I was born on foreign soil myself, I understand the value of being with your family on free soil. America is great because our soldiers and their families have sacrificed greatly. Our freedoms should never be taken for granted.
If you ever get a chance to spend an afternoon or day with a veteran, it will be time well spent. They have lots of insight to share with us. This weekend I was able to chat with a few while waiting to march. One was a veteran from WWII. He was amazing. He has seen a lot and his heart aches watching disrespectful folks these days.  Cory and I both got to march in our first Veterans Day parade this year. Cory with the band, carrying the banner, and I alongside the horn section keeping the crowd off the kids, and watching for falling music, and or potholes that they could fall into. There were lots of bands participating and many groups and organizations riding in cars, and floats.

Thank you Veterans and families for your sacrifice. On this day and many others, we honor you!

No comments: