Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Strawberry Jam 2011 STYLE!

Aren't the strawberries pretty?  A couple Saturdays ago I went to my favorite local strawberry patch and had a great time!  I so love inhaling the fresh strawberry scent at the strawberry patch. For the first time in 5-6 years, the patch was not muddy! Hooray! I went in my trusty boots anyway!
I picked all 8 gallons in one row!

This is one of my favorite activities all year. I usually get the pleasure of picking with friends and my sweet boys. This time however, they were all busy, but this was the day I set aside, so I enjoyed alone. As the morning went on more and more people came out to the patch to pick. ME? I like to get out there as early as I can! To watch the morning "wake up" the countryside is a beauty to behold. (I guess I'm a country girl at heart)
It was fun chatting with different people. (one recognized me!) We discussed recipies and how long each of us had been coming to the patch. This particular patch I've been coming to for 6 seasons!

Once the berries are picked and washed, we move onto the stem removal. From there it is time to cut up the berries. The boys favorite part is the smashing of berries. (its an opportunity to get messy and productive at the same time!) Even the mess that I clean up is worth it! The whole house smells of summer - this is one of my first signals that a new season is soon upon us. Next step is the canning part. We have to cook the berries and work in some Sure-Jell and add some sugar!
Cory was suprised to learn that we had 67 jars that needed lids and rings! (can you believe it caught that look?)
This takes up the majority of my day when I commit to Strawberry jam, but its okay, I love it, as it reminds me of time spent with my Grandma years ago making it for the family. Today that is my job, and I take it seriously.

2 comments:

Emily Doss said...

Daniel's mom always made Strawberry Jam. This year Deborah (his sister) had made some for us using her recipe. So sweet. (& so good!)

Nikki said...

oh. my. goodness.

1) cory's face is amazing. haha.
2) i need some of that delicious heaven-sent goodness!!! so send some my way if you can ;)