Sunday, January 9, 2011

When On Mission - Just roll with it!

When serving on a mission team, one knows that the comforts of home will not be there. You miss your family, friends, and today hot water.
Just a little bit ago, I had my first experience with what the locals call "the widowmaker". It is the way to shower in civilization in San Jose Costa Rica. Basically an electric shower head. Don't touch it! The water runs over the pipes and the electricity heats the water.
NOT FOR ME!
OHH!
Dirty from travel and too tired to try my hand at a foreign way to shower last night, I embarked upon this journey this morning a little after 6am. Turning the handle, I remembered our host, Franco explaining this process to me. if you want hot water don't turn the water on high, let it trickle out. Okay, so I thought.
Picture yourself standing well, as God made ya, in flip flops alone in a little tiny shower, the fabric curtain is pulled behind you, and you go for it.
Turning the knob I let the water trickle..barely running off the top of the showerhead, warm..awesome. okay now to get it on my body. Strategy 1 being developed...soap up first. okay done.  next attempt to find a way to get this warm trickle onto body. Step 2: unsuccessful. So I upped the water pressure! POP! COLD, ICE cold cubes in liquid form hit my semi warm body. Since it is 6ish and quiet except for the birds and church bells outside...I squelch the natural instint to share my trauma with my fellow mission friends. The verse I can do all things rolls through my head..I tell God that's not funny! and suck it up and rinse super fast! Kinda like the boys do on a normal day in the states.
Step 3. Since Im cold, Im truly wondering if my hair really needs washing..taking a deep breath, I recite the verse aloud, I don't care if a sleeping Chad hears me..REALLY...
Step 4. lather up, can't have a stinking mission friend visiting from the states, right? Keeping my body away from the liquid ice, I rinse out my hair.. so the final prognosis.. I will not condition my hair until I figure a way to mix it ahead of time.
Ya know how you get out of the shower and its cool? HA! I warmed up! Wrapping myself in a towel, I thankfully praised the Lord for having clean running water, and for the opportunity to serve Him here in Costa Rica.

No comments: