Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Preparations for a New Year

Since I want to start the New Year happier, I decided that there were a few things that I could do to help that along.
First thing : The Kitchen. I spend more time in this room of the house than anyone. I have been frustrated over the lack or organization I have had since we moved in  6 years ago. I know.. sad really.
However, I first took inventory of what I have and what I need. Since we got married, Sweetie and I were given much of our parents and friends old stuff. So, we have many things that dont match. This has been okay with me, but we talked about how since some of it is now falling apart, lets pick some of our own stuff.
I lucked out and got new pots and pans for Christmas, so I was able to throw out our scratched up and burned out old pans.
Second, I organized our dishes. I had several incomplete and different patterns. I got rid of broken pieces and stuff we just weren't using. All of the mismatched pieces are gone! yay!
I cleaned out and organized my spices. The old ones, yep trash! The cupboards are clear and not so frustrating anymore! Oh Happy DAY!
Third, I cleaned out our closet. Now, if I can just get Sweetie to go through his clothes, and take out what is not wearable anymore...
Next, I need to inventory our towels. We have some that are literally falling apart, and need to be replaced. I figure over time I will pick up a towel here and there, and hopefully by the end of 2011, will have some linen closets to be proud of also!
Today, I took down all of the Christmas stuff, except for a handmade wood carved African nativity that was brought back from Africa for me as a gift a couple years back. I like to look at it all year long. I have high hopes to get rid of the excess this year and really streamline things. I've got high hopes, and achieving some of these goals before the new year makes me feel it will be attainable!

No comments: