Monday, November 8, 2010

To Gleek or be caught Gleeking

Okay, so the first time I heard this word was tonight around the bonfire. Yes, I asked. When there is a moment that your teen decides to ivolve you in a chat about something it is wise to be ready. I was not.
Actually, I hear Brian whine, "Mom! Cory is gleeking me!"
Me: eyebrows going up.."what?"
Cory engaged in laughter slowly turning into hysterics, as Brian starts again, "MOM! CORY IS GLEEKING ME!"
Sweetie is amused, Cory is showing off how wide his mouth can actually open when engaged in laughter. A frustrated Brian explains to me that Cory is spitting on him.

According to http://www.wisegeek.com/ Gleeking is: "In the world of competitive spitting, gleeking would be considered a stealth fighter. Gleeking is actually an acquired skill in which the gleeker rolls back his or her tongue, then compresses a sub-mandibular salivary gland until a stream of saliva is released. With enough practice and salivary stimulation, a gleeker can project an arc of watery saliva several feet in the air. The point of intentional gleeking is to find a suitable target and silently dowse it with a short burst of spit.The fact that some people can gleek seemingly at will while others cannot only adds to its appeal as a rude but generally harmless act. A talented gleeker will wait until a target has come into range and then silently dowse him or her with a spray of watery saliva. The gleeking victim may not even be aware he or she has been attacked, since gleeking is such a silent act."

Really?  Okay, so I have seen said teenager sorta rolling his tongue back into his mouth and then using his spit glands to shoot spit out the sides of his mouth. He gets great thrills out of how he is expanding his distance without getting caught. (side note, He swears that he just annoys his brother with this behavior) UHUH.
 
BIG SIGH. Sweetie is still amused, just shaking his head. He then looks at me and explains what it is.

As a lifetime, card carrying, certified girl, I will never understand the behavior of  the boy species.

3 comments:

Teri said...

Gleeker needs to be reminded that Gleeked just recently broke his thumb.

Gleeker still has 9 working digits...

Emily Doss said...

Ok so the last post made me so glad I have a boy. And then this one made me go- oh my. :)
Fun times ahead for us I'm sure...and I loved the last line. Boys will be boys...maybe we'll never understand.

Inkwell said...

Teri - LOL!

Emily! Yes they are! Keep those pictures of sweet Manny coming.. Hey by the way.. are you guys taking or have you taken any family photos yet? I would gladly pay for a 5x7...:)