Friday, September 24, 2010

A Tribute to Lucky


Rest in Peace. Three little words with a big meaning. Today, September 24, 2010 our family said goodbye to our cat Lucky. Lucky has been a part of Sweetie and I's life for 16 years. He was a spunky kitten who learned to fetch. YES, a cat that fetched. There was a small piece of rope that he would playfully bat back and forth, and one day Chad threw it. That cat brought it back! And so it started, this would go on for quite a while until, in true cat fashion; Lucky would quickly decide he was finished and would curl up for a good snooze on the arm of Sweeties recliner.  This cat, like most pets strongly let us know when we needed to be punished. When we moved my mother and sister to NM, he was left in the care of Sweetie's sister. He gave her a run for the money. They had a love/hate relationship from that point on. Sweetie and I learned a lesson and made sure there was someone who would stay with him from then on. Someone popping in and out of the house whenever they felt like it was just not up to his criteria.
Lucky was playfully referred to as "un" by my father in law. All Richard had to do was roll up a newspaper and Lucky was gone. I smile because Lucky spent quite a bit of time at their home whenever we were gone. That cat rode with me out to Texas. Poor thing, I had to give him sleeping pills and as he fought that sleep he would howl and howl just to make sure I knew he was miserable. A car riding pet he was not. In Texas, while Sweetie was going through fire school, he and I hung out and helped Sweetie study at night. That cat met a lot of people. He was quite popular at the fire school, and yes I took him with me! He tolerated everyone but children. Then came the big move to TN, as Sweetie and I moved to NC, he stayed with Ginger and Richard until we had our home set up, and he moved out there with us. We missed him so badly and couldn't wait for them to bring him to us.
Lucky and I have had our coversations..he would lazily follow me around the house during the day depending on his pranks of the day he would hear me tell him that he was lucky he was still living with usl. IF I cat could smirk, I think he did. He knew he was loved. When Cory came along, well, he didn't quite know what to think of this screamer. But he got to where he would let Cory hold him and yes, he got over it. The guys from the fire department enjoyed hanging out with him and some would share about how they had a cat at home or a favorite pet memory. Lucky entertained them with his game of fetch. Then Lucky had to deal with Brian. Brian being such an active baby, that didn't set well with Lucky, and he would swat at Brian and give him a growl just so he knew to stay away. Over time Lucky got used to Brian and his activity and would occasionally allow him to pet him. In our move back to TN, Lucky again told me what he thought about that. But again, he adjusted.
In Lucky's final years he  has met many people who have visited our home. He has survived two small groups of 12 or more adults, two Middle School boy groups of 15 and more, and various other meetings held here. Sometimes someone would warrant his attention, other times not.
When I brought home Sasha, our rat terrier two years ago, Lucky once again gave me his opinon. He was NOT pleased. Sasha wanted to play, but as Lucky was in his senior years and long past playing fetch, he mearly tolerated the puppy. Sasha loved to police him and corral him like a sheep dog does the sheep. She followed him everywhere until he had enough, and he would growl and swat, she would get the hint and go away.
Lucky was a good cat, and his attitude, deep purr, and silent presence will be missed BIG time around here. We love you Lucky! Tonight, we will have a sunset burial and lay him in his final resting place in our backyard. He has definately left a pawprint on everyones heart that met him.
Rest in Peace, dear friend, Rest in Peace.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Awwww...so sorry. :( Lucky was a good kitty; reminded me of our cat T.C.