Friday, March 5, 2010

Bring on Spring!

This winter has been a long, cold, wet, and grey one. While I enjoy the cold of winter and the various snow activities, of which we get very little of here in Tennessee; I’m so ready for the warmer weather.
(Wow that makes me sound like a spoiled southerner.)
Bring on the spring! The green, the warm sunshine, flowers, and the promise of new life to the yard and surrounding scenery! The family can get outside and go! Gardening, cycling, hiking, camping, picnics, swimming, white water rafting! Oooh! I’m getting excited!
I think one of the reasons I get anxious for spring is that I like to dig in the dirt. If I’m not planting something, my happy meter is low. Last year a close friend and I planted several daylilies, and iris. I so look forward to reaping that harvest! It is therapeutic to me to have a fresh bouquet of flowers on the kitchen table. Planning the flowers, the potted arrangements and ferns to warm up the front porch is one of my most favorite activities all year!
Last year Sweetie and I worked three new flower beds and even planted some new bushes. We painted outside and replaced the front porch columns, the windows and air/heating unit. While there are lots of updates to the inside we still have to complete, I am way more excited about outside improvements! This year I hope to buy some evergreen trees to fill in the tree line between us and our neighbors. I have sketched designs for enlarging our back deck and building a backyard oasis for us to relax in after a long day of work. This is the part where Sweetie cringes. I have designed a pagoda and have found the stone I want to use for the flooring and walkway. This includes a separate grilling area and a rock fire pit that would have stone benches so that more than 6 of us could sit around and roast marshmallows.
We tend to have many people over to visit and to be able to expand our living space into the outdoors while living in a subdivision is challenging, but not impossible. Oh! Just typing this out and dreaming about it makes me smile! No, I won’t get all that accomplished this year, but it’s in the 5 year plan!
What are you dreaming about accomplishing this spring/summer?

1 comment:

Teri said...

The Lawn and Garden show was glorious! I've got so many new ideas. Oh... I came home with a gateway arbor in a Japanese design! Won't Himself be pleased?