Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A little dog, an opportunity to share Christ

Courtesy according to the Websters Dictionary means: civility, politeness, service. The dictionary refers to this word as a noun. My blog today refers to it as a verb. An action, something deliberately done in consideration of another.
Okay, here goes.
Being a proud owner of a puppy/dog comes with many responsibilities. We need to provide them with shelter, food, and keep them healthy by taking them in for vetrinary care. It is my belief we also need to be courteous to our neighbors and clean up after our pets. My gripe today is one I wittness often, sad to say.
Why is it that folks feel they can walk their dogs in the neighborhood and let them poop in everyone else's yard?
I have wittnessed this several times, shocked each time. And yesterday to top it off, I watched (as I was walking my dog Sasha) an owner open his front door, and let three dogs out the door. I was on an adjoining road so he didn't see me. However, his dogs left his yard immediately and crossed the street into his neighbors yards and relieved themselves. By the time I was within sight, I had picked Sasha up as the dogs we all around me by this time, (several houses away from his). We heard the whistle for them to return. The dogs left us, took off and went into the house, with the man waving at me, and closing the door.
WOW! I will give you a minute to absorb that.
Okay..a couple of days ago there was a man walking his huge grey great dane on our street. Beautiful dog. As I watch him approach our home, I decide to wait on leaving for the errands I was going to run, as just the night before I cleaned up a big pile of eww out of our front yard, and really wondered who had left me that treat..
I made my way outside and busied myself with cleaning off my front porch. The man was walking his dog alright, but carried no bag to clean up the dogs mess. I figured since it was still a chilly morning, maybe (giving him the benefit of the doubt) that he could have a bag in his pocket. Unfortunately, the dog decided to take care of business in my neighbors yard. I made it a point to be out in the yard as this was happening. He just stared at me. I looked at him, and looked at his dog and looked back at him. The man turned around and went the opposite way back down the street. I wonder if it worked. It did something as he went the other way, I sure hope it either keeps him from walking down our street or to be responsible and bring a bag. Had he kept on walking past me, I would have given him a bag to go clean it up himself. He hadn't turned the corner yet and he watched me as I cleaned up his dogs mess out of my neighbors yard. THey are an elderly couple that most likely couldn't clean that up, and they don't need to accidently step in it as they come from the house to the mailbox to get their mail.
Sasha, bless her everloving little self is 6 pounds. The little thing doesn't excrete much herself. Little ones she leaves, but if she goes in anyones yard, even ours, it gets picked up. Common courtesy. I carry my bag on my arm as we walk. I want folks to know if she makes a mess, I will find it and clean it up!
One day a few weeks ago, we were on our walk and a dear man was out raking his leaves, Sasha decided to pick his yard. Sigh. Well, I had my bag, I cleaned it up. The man came over to me. I braced myself for a good grilling. But I got a handshake and a big thank you from the man for cleaning up after my dog. I asssured him it was no problem, he laughed and asked how I managed to see it, coming from such a little dog. I told him I was very aware, and wanted to make sure we leave things as we found them. He then went on to tell me about several in the neighborhood who don't follow the same convictions. We then went on to talk about why we had convictions, and I was able to share with that man, where we go to church, why I act differently that others. He told me he hadn't been to church in years, and his neighbor was always trying to get him to go with them. He thought that the world had gone bad. He was glad to see the younger generation had some convictions about what was right and what was wrong, and were involved in church. I invited him to church, but he said he would talk to God about it, and maybe go to church at his church, the one he hadn't attended but on special events.
I haven't seen him out in his yard lately, but if I do, I will ask him about church!
Isn't it neat how God can work through a little dog and a simple walk around the neighborhood? Ask God for an opportunity today, an opportunity to wittness for Him. He will bring someone to you!

1 comment:

Teri said...

First time I've heard of *that* used as a witnessing tool!! ;-D Way to go!!!