Monday, April 25, 2011

A Lifetime of Memories

My Grandparents were married over half a century. They traveled, had children; and excelled in their careers. (Grandpa retired at Kellogg’s, Grandma- she was a secretary for the local school system). Grandma died in 2006 of a stroke, Grandpa having recently been diagnosed with dementia has been moved into an assisted living establishment. His days are now more scheduled, and he has the help he needs as he moves through this stage of life.

For the past few days, I’ve been helping my Aunt and Uncle clean out my grandparent’s home. Over 60 years of memories have been dusted off, wiped down, washed, and even pitched in some instances. Room by room, we have gone through boxes, drawers, under beds, a shed/workshop, garage, and through closets. Once a room was emptied of its contents, it was cleaned.

My Uncle spent today working on starting/maintaining all the machines. There were a couple of tractors, a riding lawn mower, a couple push mowers, a truck, 2 cars, a motor home, and some trailers that needed some maintenance. Tires had to be aired up, trailers pulled out of the mud, new batteries installed, oil & transmission/fluid changes all around.

I was in the house with my Aunt cleaning up and mostly cleaning out. With much laughter, tears, and sharing of “remember when’s, or “did you ever meet so and so?” echoed off the now empty walls. We sorted their lives into three categories: Trash, Keep, and Give Away.

Tonight, my body physically aches from the demands I have forced on it these last few days. My heart is full - I have unearthed lots of family history, and the emotional drain leaves me sleeping well at night.

Amongst the board games I played with for as long as I can remember, is now one of the most treasured things of all to me: My Great Grandmother’s Bible. If I walked away from this experience with nothing else, I would be totally satisfied. The notes inside are insightful. She loved the Lord, and has written out several of her favorite verses, and sermon notes in the margins. I look forward to gingerly spending time reading both the verses she found comforting/convicting, and gaining her insight as I get this small glimpse into her relationship with the same Lord that I love.

As I reflect over this time, my conscience is pricked. What will my children find, going through my things one day that will mean the most to them? What "thing" will show that I cared about it most?

No comments: