Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sleeping in a Church Pew

So, have you been guilty of sleeping in or on the church pew on Sunday mornings? Well, when you are a guest at our home, you get to do just that!  In the meantime, our oldest son gets to sleep in a bed made out of an old church pew!
We have a friend that is a recycler on so many levels. And when he noticed a church pew was getting thrown away, he was on it - and had that broken pew loaded in the back of his truck. Now, the next best thing he did was call me and tell me what he was doing. Yes, I was excited! I love things that are refurbished and used as something else! (ever heard the saying, "one man's trash is another's treasure?" it applies here)
So my handy friend got busy making a  bed out of the pew. Before I show you a picture of the finished product I want to share the background to this story with  you. 
 I truly enjoy spending time with my friend and his wife as they are very resourceful, and I feel there is a lot to be learned from this lifestyle. For instance when I visit their home, I always find some new idea, or new use for a item that finished its purpose as one thing and now is getting to be used somewhere else. For example they don't have an ordinary paper towel holder in their kitchen, no - what they use is an old pair of iron ice tongs (super neat). There is an old screen door, paint peeling and all that seperates the kitchen from the dining area. In the living room there are end tables that are made from recycled windows; he even put hinges on them so his wife can store magazines or other memorabilia inside that you can see, but still have the glass to set a drink on. There is a table also made out of a longer window that is serves as both a coffee table and a shadow box of their childrens school pictures and other trinkets. Our friend is quite the handyman! Here is a picture of Cory's pew bed.
See how fun it is to recycle? On the front of the footboard there is the place to put your hymnal and your communion cup! So far this has only been in our home a couple of weeks, and it has quickly become quite the conversation piece!

No comments: