Monday, April 26, 2010

I'm scheduling some Four leaf clover time...

Have ya ever wondered where your week went? Whew! I've been hopping between piano practice and soccer games and the kids various social events like mad lately!
Throw in two part time jobs, housework, and church activities and I loose focus of what is important! Yes, what I am busy with is important and some of it is necessary to provide a living for our family. But man, when God brings ya back, it is a jolt.
I've got friends who themselves, or a close family member has had major surgery, or found out they have a life threating disease, or had a child attempt suicide. They were all busy people too, who were too busy for the slower, more meaningful things of life; until life got in the way and they are once again reminded of how short life can be.
This puts the 'drama' created by others that bounce in and out of our lives in check. What to wear for a party, what flowers to plant, working overtime on the hope the boss will notice..all dim when a life is on the line.
I've written all this to say, don't forget to schedule some time to do the important stuff. The stuff that you will not regret doing when you are faced with your immortality.
Our son, Cory loves to find four leaf clovers. He delights in it. There aren't many days that go by without me having one or two he has brought in to show me. I used to praise him and go about my business. I stopped that here lately. I have pressed a few and put them about in places that I need a visual reminder to stop and breathe.
What do the leaves symbolize? Here is a snippet from an article I read about them:

One leaf is for FAITH... The second for HOPE...

The third for LOVE... And the fourth for LUCK!

In Irish tradition the Shamrock or 3-leaf Clover represents the Holy Trinity: one leaf for the Father, one for the Son and one for the Holy Spirit. When a Shamrock is found with the fourth leaf, it represents God's Grace.


History of the four leaf clover:

The four leaf clover is a universally accepted symbol of good luck with its origin ages old. According to legend, Eve carried a four leaf clover from the Garden of Eden.



"The clovers also occupied a position in the cultural life of early peoples. White clover (T. repens L.) in particular was held in high esteem by the early Celts of Wales as a charm against evil spirits." Clover Science and Technology". N.L. Taylor, 1985.

Druids held the 4 leaf clover in high esteem and considered them a sign of luck. In 1620, Sir John Melton wrote: "If a man walking in the fields find any four-leaved grass, he shall in a small while after find some good thing.

The mystique of the four leaf clover continues today, since finding a real four leaf clover is still a rare occurrence and omen of good luck.

So, if you are to look at my calendar these days, you will observe some time I have set aside for what's important, under the title..four leaf clover...

2 comments:

Teri said...

Rare unless ol' Eagle Eye is scouting them! LOL

Inkwell said...

So very true.. looking for a picture of Cory with some in his hot little hands..I know I have one.. maybe I just need to take another one.