Wednesday, August 26, 2009

God's will be done...

Ever catch yourself saying something you don't mean just because it is the "appropriate" thing to say?
When I pray, I generally say, "Your will be done." Basically meaning, "Lord, you are the ONE, if anyone can do it, you can. Or, If it's your will Lord!"
I sincerely do want God's will in my life and all its varied pathways. So, why is it when I get God's answer, (and it's not what I think it will be) I tend to go, "God are you sure?"
How dare I? Who do I think I am? I'm speaking to the CREATOR, the very one who speaks things into existence. The Alpha and Omega. He knows all. Who am I?
Obviously, if I am writing about this, it is something I have experienced of late.
Here goes...

I get a call from a dear friend of mine that has one pitiful kidney, that has to endure dialysis several times a week, daily last I heard. He gets sick quite a bit.
He has been on the waiting list for a new kidney for a long time. Yesterday he got that call. The call of all calls.. There is a kindney for you, come to the hospital.
He calls his wife, and then updates me while she is on her way home to pick him up to drive him out to the hospital.
I'm elated to say the least! There are so many emotions going on with all three of us! I'm singing praises and send up a prayer for safety as they go to the hospital, a prayer for the family of the deceased, and for the doctors.
Nine hours later, I get a phone call. What I was expecting was his wife saying that he was in surgery, or had just gotten out of surgery. But it wasn't. It was the wife telling me that they were on the way home from the hospital. What? It's too early!
She explains that the kidney came from a donor that had died. The doctors found out that this patient had a drug problem. The kidney looked healthy, but they didn't want to take a chance.
My prayer had been that God's will be done. God's will was that he not get that kidney. It sounded good, real good. But the circumstances were not right. I am disappointed and so is my friend. However, we are both thankful that the doctors were vigilant and did their homework before putting a possibly questionable kidney into my friend.
Sometimes when I pray I don't get a answer right away, sometimes I do and don't recognize it as an answer. Sometimes it is right up in my face, blinking lights and all.
I have humbly asked for forgiveness for my haughty know it all attitude.
Moral to this story: If you ask for God's will to be done, and it is.. don't be so suprised! Be honored HE let you in on it!

1 comment:

Teri said...

You prayed for safety your friend and for God to guide the doctors.

He answered your prayers. The kidney was not safe.

Sometimes God says "no" when we all we see is a pretty patch of flowers. We don't realize that in the middle of those flowers is a rattlesnake...